EGA adds to environmental certifications and awards with win from the Emirates Appreciation Award for the Environment 2016
United Arab Emirates, 16 February 2016: Environmental protection is at the forefront of all activities at Emirates Global Aluminium (“EGA”). This commitment is demonstrated through the company’s long-term goals and values, which include a determination to “protect the environment wherever we operate.” As testament to this, the environmental initiatives implemented by EGA have earned the company recognition on a local and global level, with the most recent example being The Emirates Appreciation Award for the Environment 2016, where EGA Jebel Ali Operations won in the large industry category.
The award win acknowledges EGA management’s belief in a sustainable business development philosophy, as explained by Abdulla Kalban (MD & CEO: EGA), “EGA operates a deep commitment to sustainability. We measure our horizons in decades and generations, we act as guardians of the environment, and we go the extra mile. We consider this an investment in helping us achieve our aspiration for a better future.”
Providing context to EGA Jebel Ali’s latest accolade Kalban added, “From an environmental perspective, minimising harmful emissions and the adoption of world-class practices are central to all EGA’s activities. The combination has led to significant reductions in the company’s impact on the environment, many of which have set industry benchmarks.”
EGA Jebel Ali benchmarks its Environment, Health and Safety (“EHS”) performance against the best companies internationally and has achieved and/or improved environment performances across all parameters. Notable environmental initiatives and achievements from EGA’s Dubai-based smelter include:
- The construction of a mini solar field that generates enough renewable energy to power the requirements of the EGA Jebel Ali residential area during daylight hours.
- The close monitoring of Greenhouse gas (“GHG”) emissions in association with the International Aluminium Institute (“IAI”) to ensure levels comply with international standards. Initiatives that have directly impacted GHG emissions include: the GTX project, Evaporative Cooling project, Potline AE Frequency/Duration Reduction initiatives, Regenerative Burners CDM project and the Compressed Air System Optimization project.
- Over the past 35 years, EGA Jebel Ali has developed advanced reduction cell technologies (DX and DX+) that not only increase productivity but also reduce the operations’ impact on the environment through improved energy efficiency and reduced emissions levels.
- The EGA Jebel Ali smelter has met or outperformed virtually all measures relating to the environment, specifically with regards to perfluorocarbon (“PFC”) emissions.
- Demonstrating its pioneering position, EGA Jebel Ali was the first aluminium smelter in the Gulf region to develop and implement a comprehensive Carbon Management Strategy and CDM projects.
- EGA Jebel Ali’s dedicated Waste Management department carefully follows “Reduce, Recycle and Reuse” principles whereby all process waste is assorted, recycled and sold. In addition, all employees are educated on the importance of waste management through on-going awareness initiatives.
- EGA Jebel Ali has implemented international best Environment, Health, Safety, Fire and Security (“EHSFS”) Management systems and is certified to ISO 9001, ISO 14001, ISO/TS 16949, ISO/IEC 20000-1, ISO/IEC 27001, ISO 22301, ISO 29990, ISO 50001 as well as holding OHSAS 18001 certification.
- EGA Jebel Ali’s products have been declared suitable for sustainable building practices, as per the criteria defined by the US Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (“LEED”) rating system and the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Nachhaltiges Bauen (“DGNB”, the German Sustainable Building Council).
- The smelter is also an active member of the Dubai Supreme Council of Energy (“DSCE”) and has whole-heartedly adopted the directives and measures of DSCE in support of the Dubai Government’s efforts to minimize energy consumption in Dubai and in fulfilment of the Emirate’s 2030 Energy Strategy.
- A member of UNESCO since 2004, EGA actively supports UNESCO’s “Rashid the Recycler” environmental education programme and regional office.
The Emirates Appreciation Award for the Environment is a biennial award programme organised by the Zayed International Foundation for the Environment to recognise and promote the values of sustainable living and environmentally conscious initiatives in the UAE community. The award programme is held under the patronage of HH Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum (Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai).